Tuesday, September 14, 2010

NOT A CAMPER, BUT A HAPPY CAMPER

No, I don’t like camping or “roughing it….yes, I grew up in the country and am used to gravel roads and without some of the city conveniences, but me…on a mission trip in a foreign country---sign me up!
When Tommy asked me about 7 years ago to go on an international mission trip, I thought, “why not!” The first trip was a real eye-opener…bathrooms not quite like home, shower bags to take a shower and sleeping under a mosquito net on a 4 inch mattress on a concrete floor. Sounds like fun, huh?
Well, I will admit mission trips are not for everybody. You have to be in good health and be willing to make a few “adjustments”. No air conditioning, no running water, no electricity (except via generators) on occasions. No biscuits or baked goods, either!
But when I think of how our Lord and Savior suffered, bled, and was crucified for me… one week is nothing compared to what He endured…for me.
Once I started going on these Medical/Dental Mission trips with BMDMI, I have to admit I was “hooked”. I received the greatest blessing ever---a smile, a hug, and people coming to know Jesus. I may not speak their language, but smiles and hugs are universal. Your life is never the same!
We are blessed beyond measure here in the USA. We have access to medical and dental clinics, pharmacies, clothing/shoe stores, transportation, electricity, water plumbing facilities. In Central America, most families live in houses smaller than a garage with only dirt floors, rough, dirt roads, a river to wash clothes and bathe in. However, they are some of the happiest people you will ever meet and they need to know Jesus lived and died for them too. They often walk 4-8 hours in the sun or rain just to receive medical or dental help or receive medicines or clothing. We often complain if we have to wait an hour at the doctor’s office, park far away at the shopping mall or wait 15 minutes in line at Wal-Mart. Moms will walk for hours with small children in tow just to receive help. Aren’t we spoiled here?
Won’t you consider giving one week to share the Gospel with someone who needs Jesus? Won’t you give up a week without the modern conveniences, to see the beauty of the countryside and the peace and quiet (no cell phones, computer, schedules/deadlines to meet)? Get alone with God and see what he created and how blessed you are. Thank Him for saving you and providing for you…you will never be the same.
Now if you cannot travel to Central America, you can still be an important “non-traveling” team member. Volunteers are needed to assist with donations (clothing, shoes, toys for children, money to purchase supplies), assist with pill packing (packing meds for dispensing in mission pharmacy), packing supplies for shipping. Most of all, we need your prayer support as without God’s protection, guidance, wisdom this is not a mission trip. Pray for the people of El Maguelar, Honduras.
Won’t you be a part of 51+1? Ask God what He would have you do. “I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I send Me” (Isaiah 6:8).
LaDonna Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment