In last week’s posting Daniel Clark encouraged us to read the book RADICAL by David Platt. I have completed that assignment and can tell you it was well worth the few hours I spent reading it. I too encourage you to get a copy and read it within the next couple of weeks. It will radically change the way you view our Lord’s command to make disciples.
As many of you know the “Lil Blessings” fall consignment sell was once again a great success. This twice a year event has been and continues to be a great ministry to many people in our community. The men and women that have organized and conducted this ministry spend countless hours working to provide this ministry. “Lil Blessings” donated 2800 items of clothes and shoes to be distributed to the people of Honduras during our 2011 mission trip. In addition to that clothes were donated to the thrift store in Olive Branch and to a crisis pregnancy center. Also “Lil Blessings” will contribute thousands of dollars from this event to the mission budget of FBCOB. But the benefits of this event cannot be measured only in what is given at the conclusion of the sale, the real benefit is in the ministry to the families and children that need a place to purchase quality clothes a remarkably low cost. As I worked one of the check-out stations I saw countless families that were able to buy multiple articles of clothing for their children and grandchildren for the price of one piece in a retail store. Many times during the half price sale I saw apparently needy people purchase 20, 30, and even 50 items for about $1 each. There were a couple of ladies that were shopping together that were completely giddy about the bargains they had gotten. One of them said something like, “I just bought all the clothes my child will need for school for less than $30.” Please join me in thanking all those involved in this ministry.
Tommy--one counted among the redeemed.
No comments:
Post a Comment