Tuesday, October 5, 2010

LIFE BY THE SPIRIT—LOVE

In our previous discussions on what it means to live life in the Spirit we discovered that it was necessary to turn away from our old dead life and its personality and embrace a walk toward what God wants us to be. We began to understand that God desires to impart into us the attributes of His personality through the work of the Holy Spirit. These attributes are listed in Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
These attributes should not be an occasional manifestation in our lives rather they should be so evident in our interaction with the world that, because of them, the world will know we are Christians. Let’s take them in the order they are presented to us in these verses. The first is Love.
I guess if we were to rank all of the fruits in these two verses in order of possible importance, the quality of love would have to rank number one. This may be why it is the first listed in verse 22.
Here are some of the different definitions on what love is from the different Bible dictionaries and commentaries:
1. Unselfish, benevolent concern for another; brotherly concern; the object of brotherly concern or affection

2. The self-denying, self-sacrificing, Christ-like love which is the foundation of all other graces

3. Unselfish, loyal and benevolent concern for the well being of another

4. The high esteem which God has for His human children and the high regard which they, in turn, should have for Him and other people

5. To love, to have affection for someone; to like; to be a friend; the love of brothers for each other
One of the main themes that you will find as you study the Bible is the extreme importance that God’s Word places on love. The Bible teaches the importance of every believer learning how to love God, love your brothers and sisters in Christ and even to go as far as being able to love your enemies and those who will try and harm you. You all know God expects this to be a quality of your Christian life but we also understand that our abilities as fallen humans to love one another are very limited. This is why it is so important for each of us to work closely with the Holy Spirit to get this fruit or attribute worked into the very core of our personalities. It is only when the love of the Holy Spirit starts to flow and enter into your personality that you can even begin to love God, love yourself, and love one another to the degree and to the intensity that God would like to see from each one of us. Due to the extreme importance of love becoming a part of your personality you must allow the Holy Spirit to move on you to impart this quality into your mind, soul and emotions. Love is an extremely important part of your walk with Christ.
You can be the greatest person of God and have some of the greatest gifts of God flowing through you – but if you are not walking with all of this in the spirit of love and humility, it will have all been for naught. I guess the most familiar chapter in the Bible about love is 1 Corinthians 13.
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
This type of love was one of the motivating reasons behind our confession and repentance that has led us to the 51+1 theme. As we found ourselves surrounded by such a people as the people of La Mora, a people of great need, it was easy to love them. They were so grateful and appreciative of our generosity, they were so welcoming of our visitation in their village and they were willing to listen to us as we shared the Good News with them. It was easy to demonstrate to them the quality of love listed in this passage.
But what about here at home?
• How patient has your love for others been the last few week?
• How kind have you been in trying situations?
• Have you found that you have been self-seeking, seeking what you want rather than what love demands?
• Has it been easy for you to become angry with those that don’t act like you think they should?
• Have you said in your heart, I’ll remember what you said and what you did, keeping a record of wrongs?
• Have you failed in loving others?
I challenge you this week to seek ways to live out this passage. Allow the Holy Spirit to make love a part of your personality.
To be continued…
Tommy—one counted among the redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment