Monday, October 18, 2010

LIFE BY THE SPIRIT—PEACE

As we continue our study of the attributes of God the Holy Spirit desires to instill into our personality we come to the third listed in our focus verses. Peace is what everybody desires. Very few Christians enjoy disagreements, discord or conflict. We will take any action necessary to avoid placing ourselves in these situations. As Americans we are proud of our members serving our country in the armed forces yet we hate war because of the cost to those we love who are fighting to preserve and protect our freedom. We all want world peace. But in my understanding of our enemy which has great power in this world, world peace is unattainable.

That said peace for the Christian is attainable! It is the promise of Jesus in John 14:26-27, But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

I know that of all the things our enemy wants to steal from us our peace is high on his list. He wants us to fret and worry. He wants us to keep our minds on our troubles. He wants us to forget the protection, provisions and blessings of God and only dwell on our temporal condition. He wants us to forget our Hope and mutter around in our daily strife and struggles. I’d like to share three truths that help me when I find myself overcome with the conflicts of everyday life that Satan uses to rob me of my peace.

First I have to remember to check to see if I’m at peace with God. When I delight in God’s law I’m blessed, but when I sin, I experience misery and unhappiness, conflict and chaos, tragedy and heartache. Sin separates me from God, it destroys my chance for real happiness. My salvation reconciled me to God and He has promised to never leave me nor forsake me, but sin disrupts my ability to experience the peace of a child held and hugged by a loving Father. The truth we have to face is that there is nobody, no principality and no power on this earth that can separate us from the peace we find in the arms of a loving Father other than our own sin. So the first truth is our own sin robs us of our peace.

Second I have to have peace with myself. Christianity affords peace with self, i.e., an inner tranquility, independent of circumstances. Yet, peace of mind is a rare quality in today's world. That evidence is all around us: delinquency, divorce, substance abuse, and suicide. We as Christians are not exempt for the physical signs of stress: hypertension, ulcers, heart attacks, etc. While the Declaration of Independence assures every American the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, it is painfully obvious that few are successful in their quest for serenity and inner calm. Our focal verse teaches us that we achieve peace of mind by applying God's word to our lives Galatians 5:22, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness. Contentment is the fruit of a spiritually-minded attitude. Inner tranquility belongs to those who lean upon the Lord. Philippians 4: 6-7, Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. We as Christians should be the happiest and most well adjusted people in the world. We may face difficult problems, but the peace of God enables us to maintain a proper balance. The old gospel song, "It Is Well With My Soul," beautifully expresses this sentiment: "When peace like a river attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll, Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Third I must be at peace with others. Christianity also produces peace with others. It creates a harmonious relationship among believers, and also yields relative harmony with the non-Christian world around us. Jesus told us that He didn’t come to bring peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34-36, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn" 'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law 36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household. This describes the struggle between righteousness and evil. It reflects that division that inevitably occurs between those who seek to please God and those who rebel against Him. At times we will experience conflict with the world, yet as a rule, obedience to the Lord will improve all our relationships. We as Christians are admonished to live peaceably with all men. If the gospel of Christ could break down the wall of hatred that existed between Jew and Gentile, it can resolve whatever difficulties exist between brethren. I don’t usually quote Longfellow, but he said, "All your strength is in your union. All your danger is in discord; therefore be at peace henceforward, and as brothers live together.” Unity cannot exist where there is selfishness and pride. If we are to achieve peace with others, we must have the humility of Christ.
to be continued……
Tommy—one counted among the redeemed

No comments:

Post a Comment