Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A STEP OF FAITH

BUT GOD….

Really, Lord? You want me to do what? Be a part of the Evangelism Team?? But Lord, I am afraid I won’t be able to physically do it…walk up and down the rough dirt roads in the heat. Surely there is somewhere else, somewhere within my comfort zone I can work. Isn’t there? But God persisted in His plan to use me and stretch and grow my faith. He kept speaking to my heart.
At this point last fall, I reminded myself of Moses when the Lord called him to lead the children of Israel out of Egypt! I came up with every excuse in the book…no, not excuses…reasons. They were and still are legitimate reasons, if my perception is based on human reasoning. But God, the Still Small Voice, persisted. I knew what the Lord was asking. So now it becomes an obedience issue. Play it “safe” and disobey or step out in faith and obey. No middle ground here.
My perception began to shift as I allowed myself to look beyond my doubts and dare to dream of the adventure of obedience. This is the point where mental ascent to the truth and reliability of God’s character and plan had to express itself in faith and obedience. Scriptures that I had known for years and believed came to mind to encourage me of God’s faithfulness.
God has been so faithful in the past and His promises are there in His Word to be claimed and relied on. Yes, Lord. Yes, yes, yes! I will be obedient. I will trust You. You are worthy and faithful. So, now what?
Preparation
I have always thought it hypocritical to “go on a mission trip” and not share my faith here at home. (I am including myself in this assessment because there are many times I am distracted by my to do list and not focused on the Lord) The mission trip is like a retreat or week at youth camp. You are away from your daily routine and totally focused on spiritual things. You don’t worry about your job, the bills, family relationships, or responsibilities back home. In this time period you are focused on serving the Lord without all the distractions back home. Key word here is focus. My focus can be, should be, on the Lord and eternity at all times, but it is harder back home in the “real world” of day to day struggles.
In preparing to “go on a mission trip”, God continued to enlarge my thinking. If the person in the remote village in Nicaragua needs Jesus, then doesn’t the person across the street need Jesus? Doesn’t my coworker need Him also? People are the same in their need for a Savior no matter where they live on the planet. The same God who loves the people of Nicaragua, loves the people of Olive Branch.
It is God who gives us of His love for people. He loves through us. He touches people’s hearts and draws them to Himself. It is our privilege to be a conduit of His love, no matter where in the world we are.
Am I truly ever fully prepared? Only to the degree I have surrendered my life to the Lord. John 15:5
God’s Faithfulness
When we got to the village of La Mora, it was indeed very hilly and spread out. But God had prepared the way before we arrived. If you are around me much when we are studying the Scriptures, you will know that one of my favorite things to search out in the Bible is all the seemingly impossible situations where everything was changed by two simple words, “But God…”. Look and see for yourself and rejoice in God! There are many “But God” times in my life as well, because He is the same God in my heart as I find on the pages of Scripture. How about you? Isn’t our God amazing?
The first way God was faithful to me was through the prayers of our evangelism team leader. Daniel was very supportive and excited to accept that God was calling me to be a part of the team. He prayed for me from the start and all through the time we were in the village. He was an excellent EV team leader because God called him to this and empowered him just as he does with each of His children who listen and obey.
We who actually traveled to La Mora were only a small part of the team. There were many, many folks who gave time, money, and supplies to make this trip possible before we even got on the plane. Also, there were many who prayed faithfully for us while we were there. God’s grace was evident all throughout the trip because of the prayer support we were receiving. If you were one of those, only in eternity will we fully know what a difference your prayers made. Thank you and praise God!
God was also faithful in providing a wonderful translator by the name of Rigoberto. This amazing young man has a passion for the lost in his country and has a wonderful gentle spirit. He has a wife and small baby daughter, and told me when we entered one of the poorest homes in the village that he had grown up in a poor home just like this one. He understands the earthly struggles of the people, while desiring to share the spiritual peace and joy Jesus brings in this life and for eternity. He carried Bibles, held my hand to help me over ditches and up hills, and was literally a “God-send”.
This was an unusual trip in many ways, because we were one team merged from two. But God provided unity by His grace. There were many people on the team we did not know in the beginning, but that became our friends during the week. It was a marvelous thing to behold! We were 74 strong with as many personalities and different ways of doing things. But God brought us together for His glory and used us in a mighty way that week in La Mora, Nicaragua. Praise His mighty name!
One of my new friends was Ann. She was working in the eye clinic where I usually worked. On the first afternoon in the village, I learned she had a desire to do door-to door evangelism, but because she had been willing to work wherever she was placed, she was in the eye clinic. She did not know me or that I knew how to do the job she was doing in the eye clinic. But God knew and He brought us together that afternoon. Long story short, we alternated jobs. I went out door-to-door in the mornings while she worked in the eye clinic and then in the afternoons we swapped places. I don’t know why I am amazed at the way God provides, but I am. He cared for me and blessed me in ways I would have never imagined.
I did not start out to write a book here, but God did so many amazing things in leading me to step out in faith and then after I took that step, I had to share. Let me tell you, playing it safe is grossly overrated!
I know you have a similar story. Give God the glory and SHARE IT!

Emmie

No comments:

Post a Comment